Deed Poll Service

Log in
Featured Who Can Apply

Who Can Apply for a Deed Poll?

You can apply to change your own name if you are over 16 years of age and your child’s name (if they are under 16 years of age).

Both a parent or a legal guardian can apply to change the name of a child under their care. A child’s legal guardian needs to ensure that all those with Parental Responsibility for a child give their consent to the name change. For a child, the legal guardian will sign the Deed Poll on behalf of the child, to execute the Deed Poll. The signing is witnessed, thus ensuring the Deed Poll is executed properly.

A Deed Poll can be used by anyone, over 16 years of age, both UK and non-UK nationals living within the UK. All British citizens can change their name officially using our Deed Polls. It does not matter where they live, all British government departments, organisations and companies within the UK and all British High Commissions and Embassies around the world will accept our legal Deed Poll documents as evidence of your change of name. You can change your name at any time, for any reason and as many times as you wish, providing it is not to deceive, defraud, commit a criminal activity or avoid an obligation.

Age Requirements to Change Your Name Legally

To change your name to a new name, legally, you must be over 16 years of age. A parent, a legal guardian or adult with Parental Responsibility for a person under the age of 16 would need to apply to change the name of a child under the age of 16.

Name Change of Children under 16

To legally change the name of a child under the age of 16, everyone with Parental Responsibility for the child needs to provide parental consent. If you have ole Parental Responsibility for your child this is a very straightforward process and our Deed Poll documentation will contain a declaration that confirms your legal right to change your child's name. If you do not have sole Parental Responsibility for the child then you will need a letter of consent which should be signed by everyone with Parental Responsibility for the child. We as a courtesy provide you with free Parental Responsibility Consent forms that you can use, when you purchase one of our child name change Deed Poll documents. You will need the appropriate Parental Responsibility Consent form to change the details of your child and this will need to be used with the Deed Poll. We provide you with a collection of Parental Responsibility Consent forms so you can select the one appropriate to your needs. There is no danger of you ordering the wrong one, then having to pay again to get the right one. And, when you order the Deed Poll from us, you get these absolutely free!

Parental Responsibility refers to having the responsibility for, and the right to be consulted about the child's health, education and welfare. This is normally the parent or the legal guardian of the child. 

Name Change for Undischarged Bankrupts

If you are a discharged bankrupt you can change your name through Deed Poll. However, if you are undischarged bankrupt, though you can still change your name via Deed Poll, you are required to inform those with whom you do business the name in which you were made bankrupt. This is to ensure that undischarged bankrupts do not continue on the same trade under a different name without telling their customers about their former name. You should notify the Official Receiver dealing with your bankruptcy of the change in your name. Notifying the relevant people is your responsibility.

Name Change for People with Criminal Records

You can change your name by Deed Poll. However, for legal reasons, if you have an existing or pending criminal action against you, you must notify the police station dealing with your case of your name change. If you are on probation, you must notify your probation officer of your name change. If you are on the Sex Offenders' Register, you must notify the police within 14 days of your name change. Notifying the relevant people is your responsibility, we do not do this for you, and we do not take any responsibility for doing so.

People Detained under the Mental Health Act

A person detained under the Mental Health Act can change their name, however, they must have the mental capacity to execute the Deed Poll.

Changing Your Name Now!

Standard Deed Poll Service

Standard Deed Poll Service

Deed Poll Application - Standard Service If this is the first time you are changing your...